Monday, October 14, 2013

Day Six: Free Swimming


Neptune is now back in his own tank, getting some much needed rest. He doesn't have a single torn fin from the breeding process, but he did go 5 days without eating. He was very good with his fry; even once they were free swimming I would see him pick up little struggling fry in his mouth and spit them out close to the surface. I was hesitant to take him out, but it felt like it was time. The babies were out of the nest, and it would only be a matter of time before he decided they were on the menu.

Their babies had their first meal today: a tiny pinch of Spirulina. I didn't get to see them eat it - once they left the nest they became near impossible to see!

I accidentally destroyed what was left of their bubble nest with my big, clumsy, oaf hands. I was adding a bit of fresh water to the tank very carefully, but when the water level rose it caused the leaf that the nest was under to sink completely. When I realized what had happened I lifted the leaf to check for babies and, holy fry! they went swimming off by the dozens in every direction! Glad I picked up the leaf; they may have gotten stuck under it and died!

I can now officially add "betta mommy" to my list of responsibilities. At least good help is cheap and easy to come by in the fish world! I added a Nerite snail to the fry tank and he/she will be helping keep the tank cleaned up. Live plants are also playing a vital role in this tiny ecosystem. They help purify the water and provide infusoria - tiny micro organisms that are a food source to the fry. Since I don't have a microscope I don't know if I actually have infusoria, but either way the plants are important.

 I also found a mysterious worm in the tank. It was a very small white worm squirming across the side. I sucked it up in my handy little pipette and, after examining it for a minute, decided to flush it down the toilet. I considered trying to feed it to one of the adult bettas, but I didn't know what kind of worm it was. Hopefully it was harmless and there aren't any more! The only worms I want in my fry tank are the ones I put in there.

I don't have a guess yet as to how many babies there are. Maybe in another week or so I will be able to see them well enough that I can start counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment