Sunday, October 27, 2013

Week 2!

Made it through the first two weeks! The fry still look like little tadpoles, but some are clearly much larger now. Others are still so small they seem like they've hardly grown since day one! The losses (as far as I can tell) have still been very minimal. I've been trying to get a good picture of them, but  they are too small and fast for my camera to focus on.

They had their first water change today! I don't think they are quite ready for water changes yet, because I sucked up about a dozen babies in the process and had to spend the next hour carefully fishing them out of the bucket with a pipette and returning them to their tank. I will probably spend the next week or two removing waste with the turkey baster like I've been doing, and gradually filling the tank up so that I turn on the sponge filter.

I've been estimating that there are around 50 fry, but after today I'm thinking there could be a lot more! There are bound to be a few more losses over the next several weeks, so only time will tell what we end up with!

2 comments:

  1. Hello from
    Madurai, Tamilnadu- INDIA !

    Am a betta lover starting off my penchant with these awesome fishes over again after a 2 decade hiatus. Purchased 4 males for my two little girls aged 5 & 2 last week. I found you blog moments ago and am I glad. Awesome Journey thus far !!! Great Job !! Can't wait for your next update...Cheers from this part of the world :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! It is such a neat experience, betta fish are very special :) Congratulations on your new fish and good luck on your own journey!

      Delete