Thursday, October 10, 2013

Day Two

All of the behavior that Neptune and Rain have been displaying have been consistent with the research I have done on breeding behavior. Neptune is diligently working on his bubble nest, while regularly checking up on Rain. He flares at her, wags his body, and sometimes chases her. Rain will occasionally venture over to glance at the bubble nest, then swim away. I've noticed her flaring back at him and standing her ground several times. I have also seen her assume a more 'submissive' pose with her head angled downward. Both are good signs. But it has been two days now, and still no spawning. They are both young and inexperienced, so I guess it will take a little more time. I feel like the biggest problem right now is the bubble nest, or lack thereof. Neptune hasn't made a very substantial nest yet, and the two he has made have been destroyed. His second nest got messed up when the Indian Almond leaf sank :( I put a fresh leaf in and taped it to the side of the tank, and he's started a third nest. Here was the nest he had made this morning, before the leaf sank:
Both fish seem to be getting tired. Rain's fins have been so torn up she's looking like a crowntail. It looks like the normal kind of damage the females sustain during this process, so I'm not too concerned. She isn't acting like she's overly stressed, and they are definitely not out to kill each other. I know it takes a little longer when it's the first spawn, and going into this I knew that something almost always goes 'wrong', but it's still stressing me out! I keep having to remind myself to leave them alone as much as possible, as long as they aren't killing each other, and let them do their thing. And it will take time! I might give them up to four days, depending on how they are acting towards the end of the day tomorrow. Neptune has been taking more breaks from his bubble nest and just resting. I have fed them a few bites of food. Rain is hungry, but Neptune won't eat. I am hoping they spawn, but if not I'm prepared to move forward either with a different pair or re-conditioning them.
Rain hiding in an Indian Almond leaf, getting some much needed rest

Neptune taking a 'break'. He's really been a champ so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment